Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March Challenge

Today is a big day: March 1st! Spring is in the air, and lots of other things...

Such as Maha Shivaratri - the Hindu festival of worship devoted to Lord Shiva, renewal and liberation aligned with the new moon.

In the spirit of renewal and I have accepted a blog challenge, in an attempt to write more often and more from the heart about yoga and running:
http://caitmanock.blogspot.com/p/30-day-blog-challenge.html

It all fits pretty well together so here goes...
Challenge Number 1: a photo and ten facts


1. The above photo was taken in Mexico, in the cafe of a wonderful garden where I worked in return for yoga classes. The couple who ran the garden were devoted to creating green spaces - all without electricity.
2. I was once belonged to a cross-country running club called 'The Waders'...think mud...
3. Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II is one of my favourite yoga asanas - grounding and opening - named after a warrior who was a reincarnation of Lord Shiva.
4. Being vegetarian now seems natural but it wasn't till a few years ago that my brother and I decided to start eating more consciously after a deep conversation in a cafe in Cologne.
5. The first ever yoga class I took was at Newcastle University, with a fellow marine biology student - my lovely friend Jane.
6. When I first started practicing yoga a downward dog made my arms shake - yikes!
7. The first ever yoga class I taught was on Rapa Nui - only because the real teacher didn't turn up! It was an eye-opening experience and called for drastic improvements with my spanish vocab...
8. Running happened by accident - I was a swimmer at the time but was then offered free entry to the local running club: Darlington Harriers after a schools competition - dilemma when you're 11yrs old.
9. Thankfully running has taken me to some great places, including Northern Arizona University!
10. Yoga has taught me how to breathe properly - a great help if and when you need to relax :)

No comments:

Post a Comment