Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Grounding Intervals

And I do mean grounding intervals, not grinding - as might be expected :)
Interval training is hard work but a pretty essential part of any runner's training plan so today I ran a pyramid of intervals on a hilly dirt road: 1min, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 - all with 1 minute recovery between...

The grounding aspect I imported from yoga teaching, let me explain...As the length of the interval started to increase, and the tiredness started to set in, instead of collapsing I tried to stay grounded, steady and upright, to get as much air as possible into my lungs.
Then during the recovery between the intervals I tried to stay relaxed and rooted...Often in a yoga class a teacher will tell you to 'root' down through your feet whilst keeping the shoulders relaxed in a standing posture. This aspect will mainly help to a runner to prepare for the next interval coming up.

Maintaining good posture during and between efforts in an interval session will help to build stamina and strength and keep your airways open. All in all increasing your potential as a runner! Bingo! But easier said than done...The key is stay relaxed during intervals and things will come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment