Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wild and Precious

With just month now until the London Marathon, these last few weeks of training are really important.
There is the 'taper' to look forward to, the period during which the body is given a bit of a rest and prepares for marathon day. And also the final long run...


The BBC recently published this short video on their website about the importance of building a good foundation for marathon running. It discusses the need for strengthening and watching out for 'Runner's Knee' - the pain caused by IT band problems - specific yoga stretches and general Yoga practices will help with all of these!

It also reminded me that in 2008 when I was training for my first London marathon (whilst stretching in front of the TV, watching the BBC news after a morning run) I heard that the UK's Olympic rower James Cracknell was going to be running and aiming to break 3 hours. That was also my goal, and so on marathon day when I ran past James Cracknell at about 4 miles, everything seemed to be going swimmingly. Of course, many miles later he cruised past me and went on to break 3 hours but by then I just couldn't do anything about it, having started out far too enthusiastically (probably spurred on by the thought that I was in front of James Cracknell...what a fool)!



Right now James Cracknell is making a remarkable comeback after a cycling accident near Winslow, Arizona, from which he was lucky to survive. It is so inspiring to see anyone return to sport after incurring an injury, and there are many who do - but to return in such a way is quite amazing!! Check out this website for an idea: http://www.jamescracknell.com/home

Yesterday, up in Prescott, Arizona this sign summed it all up for me:



Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment