Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rocky Running

Quite often when I head out for a solo trail run I'm advised to carry a mace or pepper spray, mainly to ward off dogs, since there have been instances of rabid dogs in these parts! It doesn't fit very well with the principal of ahimsa or non-violence, but when there are also mountain lions and bob cats in the area, it does make you think twice. However, if I was ever lucky enough to see a large cat of any type - I'm sure I'd drop anything and everything in amazement and either freeze to the spot, or leg it!!

This morning I forgot to take the spray, so decided, just for safety...to carry a rock in each hand. It may sound a bit far fetched (and even worse than a pepper spray) but after a while I realized they were acting as natural weights - nothing wrong with a little resistance training during an early morning run! It also made me feel slightly better about running around carrying rocks...  

Back at home, sans rocks, I dived in to the cupboard for an Emergen C satchet. These little packets of wonder are ideal for post-desert run rehydration - and are hard to find in the UK so I'm lapping them up here in the US.


Blog Challenge - a photo of something you love...

I love travelling and exploring new places. Right now, living the desert is fascinating, I love running out here (including all potential and actual animal encounters!) and I can't wait for the cacti to bloom (with maybe pink flowers aka Tree Hugger Moldy Peaches) - like this big fella - the Saguaro...
 

hasta luego, amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment