Monday, February 14, 2011

Run then Yoga or Yoga then Run?

The debate over whether to run before or after yoga has been going around in my mind.

Ideally I'm sure almost everyone would agree that yoga-run-yoga would be the most beneficial for your body, but more often than not run-yoga is what realistically happens. 

A few weekends ago in Santa Fe I met up with a friend Cameron for a trail run around La Tierra Torture! Luckily it was not too torturous, and we managed a fine run, with 360 degree views of the surrounding area - more renown for it's annual mountain bike race.

After the run I decided to check out the local yoga scene and so looked up Yoga Source and went along to a class that was perfectly timed to start about 45mins after the run - time enough for a quick shower, banana, granola and water. We started out with a Reclining Bound Angle Pose, which on a Sunday afternoon, post long-run - was lush! Super Supta Baddga Konasana :) The rest of the class was needless to say pretty sublime, and we ended with the extremely relaxing Legs Up The Wall Pose - Viparita Karani. All great yoga, post-run.

In the middle of this week, I tried a run, post-yoga. At first I thought maybe I would feel tired or abit wobbly, but not at all - it was great too! I felt very fluid and relaxed, and 45mins turned into an easy hour. I was tuned into my body and breathing and could have kept running for hours :)

This week I'm going to keep switching it up to see how things go.

Yoga, run, yoga, eat, sleep, yoga, run, yoga, work, play, yoga, run, yoga, eat, sleep, yoga, work, run, yoga, play, yoga....

No comments:

Post a Comment