Thursday, May 5, 2011

On the Move

At the moment I'm on the move, which is great. After three weeks in England, Hawaii, American Samoa and Tokelau are now on the cards. Running and yoga are both providing wonderful relief from sitting on planes for hours!

Just before I left England, and two weeks after the London Marathon, by brother decided he would like to celebrate his 30th birthday by taking part in a traditional English Fell Running Race in the Lake District - and our family, plus friends, all decided to join him.

A fell run consists of making your way up a big hill, reaching a check point at the top, then running back down. The fell race in question took us up to The Old Man of Coniston, where, thanks to the absolutely beautiful weather, the views from the top were incredible (normally I would say breath-taking views, but the steepness of the climb had already taken my breathing rate to new levels - off the scale).





Running back down a fell is not for the faint hearted, and it's not really running either, let's call it leaping, bounding, hopping or dropping  - just like a mountain goat! I just about survived but since it was my first true fell race my legs, and quads in particular this week have been suffering from the downhill pounding and two days after the event DMS - Delayed Muscle Soreness set in. The best yoga pose I found to relieve the tension in my quads was Virasana, Hero Pose, and along with Child's Pose and Savasana - that was about all I could manage! Luckily my muscles heal pretty quickly and recovery is now well underway.

For the rest of this week I'll be reading and using my little Collins Gem travelling yoga book, which always comes in very handy - and next week I'll be writing from Tutuila - yoga on the move.

Do you have any yoga-travelling tips or stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment